Saturday, November 3, 2012

Assumptions and discussions

I would like to ask why is it so difficult to discuss a plan or an idea instead of just assuming it good and accepted by everyone. Just imagine that it is dinner time and your mum or your partner tells you, "Today you have to eat noodle", or instead, "Today evening we will eat noodle because i have to finish the tomato sauce in the fridge and noodle is good for you and we don't eat it since a while". Which one is easier to accept, in particular if you don't like noodle so much and were already planning to get fish and chips at your favorite store?

My direct reaction in the first case would be "No, I don't want it, I don't eat it". And then the discussion would develop in a fight, where one tells the other, "You have to because I said so" and the reply is "I don't have to, I am a free person" and so on.
In the second case, the answer would rather be "Oh, but I was planning on get fish and chips, that I like so much, while I do not like noodle that much" and then "Yeah, I know, but we really should finish this noodle and we can have fish and chips tomorrow".
It amazes me how the exact same situation can evolve in opposite scenarios just because of how the first sentence is formulated and, correspondingly, how the people are involved in the decision - or believe to be involved in it.
This applies to so many other topics and cases that we should always keep it in mind when trying to reach our goals. It also make not necessary to argue and you get the results you wanted with higher chance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment