Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Walking at night

I would like to ask what I was thinking few years ago in the case I was walking back home at night. Was I worried and scared, or was I enjoying the night atmosphere? I remember both cases, but I can't think of when the one stopped and the being frightened got more frequent.
Since quite a long time I did not have the occasion of walking back home through the town when completely dark and late enough to be desert - in the last time, I was by car or by taxi or by tram.
Somehow, I forgot how it feels. The empty roads, the silent streets, round light spots on your way and square ones along the houses.

Today evening, as soon as I closed behind me the door of my friend's apartment, I looked at the sky. I could see few stars, but not so many as in Africa. Then I covered the street light in the corner with my hand, and the stars got more. Beautiful.
The news I had heard on the radio last week came to my mind. Three people attacked one guy in the evening at the tram stop and stole his mobile, wallet and laptop. Hm. The town is getting dangerous also in unsuspicious neighborhoods, they commented.
I saw a happy guy walking in the direction opposite to mine, getting further from my shoulders. I turned the corner and speeded up.
Every corner could hide a voracious dog, a group of drug addicted, a drunken guy. The dark windows cover sleepy people, the lighted ones muffle lively discussions and yelling. I got so bad, I thought. I can't admire the beauty of the flowing river and the trees along its side, I just look on my way to see if there is any danger. I don't realize that there is nobody, it is too cold for people to go out, I should enjoy the stars and the silence and the breeze. But no, I get scared at the creak of that metal gate and I think someone follows me when two or three autumn leaves fall after one other.
Now I am again near the main road, some cars passing by, two pedestrians. No silence, no breeze. No river, no stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment