Saturday, September 8, 2012

Green pullover

I would like to ask how the colors that people were in normal days get decided. They must get decided somewhere, somehow, by someone, because the other morning, while waiting for the tram, I was observing the people and I could count many black pullovers, some brown ones, two red ones and two light blue ones, but no other color. Interesting enough, the two red ones were exactly the same red, which is not that easy to find. And the same can be said for the light blue ones. It seems that all people can choose the color of their clothes from a dozen of given ones, and any other color, for a while, disappears.


It is called fashion, or style of the season, or colors of the year, I suppose. So that men, women and kids match together with this palette of limited rainbow.
I wanted a green pullover. No particular reason; simply, one of my favorite (and old) pullovers got a big hole in it the other day, I had to throw it away and I thought about getting a new one. I have never had a green pullover before, so I thought, well, I could get a green one. I did not know how adventurous this could be. I searched for all the shops nearby and no way - the most greenish ones reminding a dead olive or spilled japanese tea. Then I started observing the clothes of the people I could see downtown: no green pullover, with exception for a blue-striped one worn by an elder man - and the pullover did not look much younger.
So, I thought, I can dye the white pullover I never wear because it is too bright. And this worked.
Now, on the street wearing my green pullover, I feel observed. I am the only person on the street wearing this normal standard green jumper and I stand out as if an arrow would point my head as long as I go. At the tram stop, a couple approached me asking me where I bought it.
And so I wonder, living in a rich consumer country, where you can find and buy basically anything you can think of: why do we all have to wear some predetermined colors? and who picks them up?
Why, at all, does fashion exist, in the sense of, why are there seasons where everyone wears blue, and then pink, and then white, and you can't find any other color in the shops? After all, I can understand if people like to wear similar clothes and feel approved by having the same style and, probably, color. But what about all the ones who just want to wear what they like or what their mood tells them to?

No comments:

Post a Comment