Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Making ideas real

I would like to ask why some people (including myself) thinks about beginning a new hobby or activity, but then they get stuck in some thoughts of enormous difficulties about what it means to start something new, or just get disappointed after a first shy trial.
It does not have to be a new work activity, nor moving to another town, where I could share some apprehension and worry, as well as a deep pondering about pros and cons. I refer more to the little things that make our lives richer, happier, or simply more interesting: a new hobby, a new class, a new sport activity.

I remember how I had to push myself to go to a new sport class in the starting semester at university. I knew that I would be among other students, it would have been a perfect occasion for meeting new people, and even a healthy one, cheap, near home, and with something I would have highly probably liked. Nevertheless, I checked the registration website at least 5 times before deciding to fill in during a moment of particularly courageous mood, I tried to find any possible negative aspect to convince me it was not worth going, I failed, I then went after class to check where the sport hall was and how to get there in the evening and to go back home after class, late in the night, and finally I went "just for trying". It was great, I met some of my best friends!
I do not really know what was the problem about beginning the new activity. Not really fear of the sport, of the people, of the location, of going. Well, I do not understand myself sometime. But I recognize the same attitude in many people around me.
A friend just unbosom his willing to begin a language class after work. I said, "Great!" and he then went on: "But at the university have no more room for beginners who are not students." Well, he could have tried with private schools (more expensive, but probably at higher quality), or with adult education centers (cheap and also with people of his age, if one of the goals is also to meet people). Oh, never thought about it. Oh, well, dunna. Oh, well, maybe. Oh, but I don't know where the school is. Oh, well, I have to check. Oh, well, what if the courses already started... or have no openings left... or ... or ... or...
I really wonder why it is so difficult to make ideas real. Are we just lazy?
And, now we have all possible instruments to check where, what, when, who. How was it just few years ago? Maybe people just... did it.

Anyway, my friend then called the adult education center in town. Tomorrow evening he starts with the class he wanted. And the school is just 5 minutes walking away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment