Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Tattoo

I would like to ask whether you have ever seen an elder or middle-aged person with a tattoo. I realized today that I had never seen one until this morning. The lady was probably around 50 years old. Not fat, actually with a very skinny rectangular face, made more angular by the straight dark blond hair around it. Even her glasses were square. She was wearing a black gilet and a sleeveless white shirt, so that I could notice a blue flower on the upper part of her right arm.
When I think about a tattoo, I always imagine it on the muscles of a super tanned man, or on the lower part of a delicate woman's back. But never on the flabby arm of a pale middle-aged person.

I wondered whether she thought about having it still on her arm when she would be less young. Maybe she did it with a particular emotion, or motivation, in which she still believes, or she just did it when she was drunk and did not think about it. Maybe she does not want to get rid of it (pain, costs, time...), maybe she just does not care, maybe she still thinks it is cool, maybe she simply still likes it or it reminds her about something.
Well, I have to admit, I will never really understand why people get tattoos. But, of course, everyone is free to do what he wants with his own body. Nevertheless, as I saw it, I thought it was kind of confusing, surprising, out of time, maybe odd. And then I thought, well, the people who were young when the tattoos were in fashion are now of that lady's age, so, the tattoos are probably still there. I would just like to hear their comments, feelings, motivations, about their tattoos, now on their elder bodies.


No comments:

Post a Comment