Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The hot dog stand

How would like to ask how many and how different the customers of a hot dog stand during a normal day can be. I always associated a hot dog stand to very few occasions for having a meal: an employee during a quick lunch break, few tourists hungry near a station, or standing eaters during a volk fair.

There is a quite fancy a pretty big hot dog stand near the train station. It sells hot dogs of various types, but also chips, other sausages and maybe even pizza. When I normally pass by - in the early morning or in the mid late afternoon - it is either empty or serving some tourists lazy ready to go into the station or some hungry bikers.
I always thought it was not too much of an audience for such a big stand, although actually in a good location. Just thinking, who would absolutely go for a hot dog, standing in the cold and the rain, when you can get basically everything from plain bread to complete meals inside the station building?
Today I passed by at a different time. I saw a couple of lonely people eating there. I recognized one of them, he had played the violin on the streets of downtown the whole past week, getting some coins for it. So I suddenly realized how cheap a hot dog is compared to other meals, but actually still kind of complete, with the bread for the carbohydrates, and the fat and the proteins from the sausage. And I suddenly felt how important such stands can be for poor, or old, or sick people, who can or do not want to cook by themselves, and at the same time can not afford every day a more expensive or nicer meal.
Of course, I am not saying that a hot dog is a perfect meal. Just that I realized being a not too bad alternative for a lunch possibilities for a diverse audience. Mainly the audience nobody thinks about.

"All these lonely people... Where do they all come from..."

No comments:

Post a Comment