Monday, October 8, 2012

Could you move the revolving door?

I would like to ask that guy how many times he already asked what he asked me this afternoon, and how many times he might have liked to ask but he did not.
It is the entrance of the supermarket and there is a standard revolving door at half height where you have to pass through in order to get into the food section. On one side the wheel for the people and just nearby the bar for the carts. But when I approach it, a guy in a wheelchair blocks my way and looks at me with a distorted face. He says something that I can not understand. Then he tries again slowly, then a third time with great effort, and I finally understand: could I please move the revolving door so that he can get out of the supermarket, as the aisles of the counters are too narrow for his wheelchair?

I discover that what seems to be a strong stable steel structures is actually hollow, light, and not even screwed into the ground. So that it is quickly moved, the guy gets out, a lady in a hurry runs in, and everything is put back as before.
After the feeling of being a good person is quickly gone, so many questions and topics on people with handicaps come to my mind, and they are mostly unanswered. I feel unhelpful, caring so few about all these people, and at the same time wondering, what if I would be one of them, one day? Would I accept to depend on others for the most basics things, would I be able to ask for favors to stranger or would I just wait that the person in charge of me would be there?
Probably in most cases you have to forget about stupid proud and dreams of independency. There are more important things than those.
But anyway: why nobody thought about making wider counter aisles when building the supermarket? Should there not be a law about that? 

No comments:

Post a Comment