Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Film in foreign language

I would like to ask why should be wrong that the kids look a cartoon in a foreign language.
In Malaysia a young couple with two school girls invited me for dinner. After eating, we chatted while the girls were looking at a DVD - a fairy tale in English. I was impressed, because the father is Chinese, the mother Malay, and the girls perfectly trilingual. I thought that those kids will be the next generation in power.

Today a colleague told me that during the weekend he watched a cartoon with his kids, but he thought that the movie was too fast and the dialogues too difficult for the sons, who enjoyed the film but probably did not understand that much. So, I asked whether the DVD was in a foreign language, and he starred at me as if I was coming from another planet - well, probably, I am. "What? Watching a movie in another language? My kids? Absolutely not, they should learn their own language first". I was shocked. I thought that those kids will be the new generation of old Westerners, not able to talk fluently to anyone outside their own world.

No comments:

Post a Comment