Sunday, October 28, 2012

Not that young parents

I would like to ask what is the role of the kids towards their own parents when the kids are adults and the parents get old. Let speak about parents and kids who love each other, share opinions and events, and are there for the other when needed.

How do you as kid then know, when the parents get older, what exactly means "when needed"? Is it about an emergency in the hospital, or the daily activities that become harder and harder, or even the attitude to life get more pessimistic, tired, sad? What can you do to actually help but not take out their lives from themselves?
A friend told me, to save them it is not your job and they would not like you to skip your life for taking care of them. On the other side, I have recently read on a newspaper listing some reasons of why people have kids, that a considerable percentage of the interviewed listed "to have someone who takes care of me when I am old" as areal motivation. It sounds very egoistic, but actually not far from the family organisation of a not too far past.
And let us imagine that I would be there in any moment, would this really make things better?
And let us consider, would I be such a great company, leaving all my activities for following them, or rather transmitting them only repressed frustration? Would they be happy to have me around at this price?
And would this actually make them happier, or just change things? 

No comments:

Post a Comment