Monday, October 1, 2012

Curtains

I would like to ask whether the use or not of curtains influences the social behaviors of the people living in that region. In the mediterranean countries, the windows of fancy furnished houses have double or triple protection from the sunlight: thin white curtains, thick darker curtains, and shutters or similar. In the continental Europe, in the northern part, it is difficult to find any shade of curtain, thin or thick, even in hotels. In Asia there I have seen ricepaper curtains, where you can see the shadow of the people behind them, but diffused.

Of course, the climate of the region is a strong factor on the thickness and material of the curtains. You would not want to have thick curtains in sunny regions where there is no breeze, but only thin transparent laces, which keep away the brightness and let fresh wind in. Or, you might get bothered by strong sun in the early morning, which might make you up earlier than your alarm clock.
Still, I wonder whether the habit of keeping out the sun with particular determination has also resulted in a more careful attitude to the own privacy, and maybe the opposite is a bit true as well.
I know that in sunny States people are very worried about what other people can see of what they do in their houses. Therefore, the shutters of the bedroom are always closed, and the thick curtain of the bathroom as well. The idea behind being, "What would people think, if they would see me (or us)".
In less sunny States people do not care what the neighbor or the pedestrian on their road can see. The thought is more like "I am in my house, I do what I want, no matter what the other think".
Geographically speaking, it might also be that the climate somehow delimites regions with different religions, so that the climate, the curtains, the beliefs, are somehow all connected in some cause-effect-cause vicious circle.
Nevertheless, I think that the use of curtains or not can become interesting also from the perspective of the neighbors or the people passing by. They might not want to see what we do, and still by chance see something that could really uppset them, or they might be amused by what they see and tell other people about it.
Today evening, while I was almost ready to eat, I saw from my window three windows illuminated on the opposite building, same height as mine. Two belong to the living room or bedroom, one to another room I did not care to identify. A fancy girl with a very short dress jumped with open legs on what I supposed to be a sofa or a bed, but still the dress did not rip and she begun trying to take it off. At that point I concentrated myself on my plate where my dinner was smiling at me. After the first two bites, I looked in another direction from my window, and a light was getting switched on at the same floor as the previous three windows. Then, a boy jumped up from one room to the other, wearing his pants very quickly and going to the newly illuminated room. When I stood up for tiding up my dirty dish, he went back to the first room and was taking off his pants again. Almost comedy entertainment thanks to no curtains.
I bet they did not care about who and what and how much was watching. Next time I could take a camera and make a movie - I could even pick up the genre.
No, I would not do that. But why do not these people just use curtains?

No comments:

Post a Comment