Saturday, October 6, 2012

Time for travelling?

I would like to ask what would you do if you could choose when to start your new job - on January 1st, or on April 1st - and your actual contract finishes on December 31st.

Imagine that you could take some days off prior to the end of your contract, in order to organize to move, the documents, and so on. And imagine you also need to find a new apartment (or house) on another continent for your new job.
My first thought was: I organize everything for moving out on mid December, I spend some of the Christmas holidays with my family, then I go around the world for three months and I start my new job on April 1st.
What would be better than being around the world having the economical security of the job starting on a precise date? And when is otherwise possible to have such amount of time available for travelling around?
I think that this option is absolutely tempting. We used up all our holidays this past year to get one month stright of travelling, where we went across 5000 km with a truck and tents. But now, three months! Wow! I always dreamed about such opportunity!
I am forcing myself to find some negative aspects - additional to the economical side, of course, but who cares, if you don't spend the money you get for your work, why do you need to get more than what you need to survive?
So, I thought that it could be not great to have a "time hole" in the CV of few months. Or, that after such a trip I would not o back to my office desk at all. Or, that it could be very tiring and the organisation of a kind of triple moving would be very challenging and stressing.
But these all sound to me like shallow reasons not to go on a trip. And, I did not find any good reason either, to start on January 1st.
Any suggestion...?

No comments:

Post a Comment